preloading of binaries

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Mar 9 10:40:23 CET 2004

On Monday 08 of March 2004 20:30, Michael Matz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Dr. Juergen Pfennig wrote:
> > On Monday 08 March 2004 14:19, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > >  I'd need some people to test the the following hack. In startkde,
> > > before KDE is loaded, a small utility mmap()'s basic large libraries
> > > used by KDE and walks over them, causing them to be all loaded into
> > > memory, and they'll stay cached (I think OO.o uses a similar hack). As
> > > the mmap() is done with
>
> I only subscribed to kde-optimize now, but I would suggest to actually
> only map the necessary ELF segments (i.e. those marked PT_LOAD), instead
> of the whole file (I didn't see the patch so don't know if this is already
> done).

 It actually does that, the preload utility simply has size up to .bss
hardcoded, the kdeinit one used bfd to find out the size.

 However, I was pointed by Waldo to
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-optimize&m=104786198017231&w=2 , which I already
forgot or missed when it was posted (while doing this hack I actually also
came to the conclusion that this really belongs to ld.so, where it won't have
all the problems this hack would have). Which means I won't bother with this
anymore, we just need to find somebody who can add it to ld.so. If somebody
thinks it's easier to finish the hack than to convice their OS's guys to
improve the ld.so, feel free to finish it, all the code is basically there.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org