kdeinit hack for faster apps startup and more shared memory

Dr. Juergen Pfennig info at j-pfennig.de
Wed Jun 30 23:02:12 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 17:58, Lubos Lunak wrote:

>  KDE3.2 got quite good reputation for being faster than KDE3.1. And since
> (AFAIK) there haven't been any noticeable optimizations for KDE3.3, I'd
> like to get in 3.3 at least the attached kdeinit hack. Done by Michael
> Matz, tested by Coolo, fixed by me :).

I remember well that Linux once has had a reputation for starting much faster
than windows. Good for the windows users is that Win 2003 now starts
DRAMATICALLY faster than Linux + KDE. Try it! This situation is completely
UNACCEPTABLE. We have to improve (Linux) and KDE. Questions:

(1) How much delay is contributed by searching/loading icons?

What about making an Icon-Inventory (or a catalog). This would store the
result of an initial icon search and would only be updated incrementally when
a directory that was searched before has changed after the search. Or is it
already handled that way? Remember: Windows uses a "shell icon cache" - but
that did not work well at the beginning. Maybe we can have something better.

(2) What about the config files?

Eventually we could create a mechanism that kdeinit pre-reads at least some
typical config files and passes the contents to the new app. Or is it already
handled that way? In a another thread a while ago someone came up with the
idea to write a kio-slave for handling all config files: background was
something like roaming profile support with a local copy of the profile in
the case that the server is offline or not reachable.

A Suggestion concerning kdestart:

(3) kdestart tries to change the classic X-Server background as early as
possible to get rid of the ugly pepper-and-salt default pattern. But nowadays
it is more convenient to start X with -br (black background) and not trying
to change the background in kdestart. At least VNC sessions produce less
flicker this way.

Jürgen