Tips for a miniKDE, was: Some optimization opportunities

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Wed Jun 30 20:37:02 CEST 2004

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 11:02:07 AM +0200, Daniël Mantione
(daniel at deadlock.et.tudelft.nl) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This week I dropped my laptop unfortunately it didn't survive. Now I
> find myself using my old K6 again. Not that I don't have a fast desktop,
> but often it runs that other commercial operating system and it's often
> more convenient to use the k6 than reboot my computer.
>
> Well, of course everything feels a lot slower. I did some investigations
> wether I could tweak things a bit.

Greetings,

I have followed the thread above on the kde-optmize list thinking to
the RULE Mini-KDE sub-project:

    http://www.rule-project.org/article.php3?id_article=59

I am not ashamed to confess that I could not follow the rest of the
discussion, as that level of analysis and programming is way over my
skills. It is good, however, that care is being taken of optimizing
performances.

What I would like to ask now, both to Daniel and the Kde-optimize
list, is if and how all you discussed (or any other optimization
trick) can be tailored for users like me and most RULE guys. Imagine
somebody:

without no time at all, CPU cycles or, plain simply, any C/C++
	programming skills worth serious consideration.

that, for a whole bunch of reasons, can only start from KDE stuff
already packaged for some distro (in my case, RPM or Source RPM)

is pretty good at shell scripting

can apply a patch and/or edit a spec file to rebuild an existing RPM

summing it up, somebody that can act only at the configuration level,
or trim the install list of an RPM, or put together some script for
first boot which removes files, puts them all in only one directory,
sets env variables....

What can be done, within these limits, to get the Mini-Kde of the page
above? Something that takes as little RAM and disc space as possible,
requires less RAM, and yet doesn't lose any real functionality
(loosing eye candy, ie only one theme and similar is OK).

You mentioned in that thread that search in many directories slows
things down (assuming I did understand it correctly): could that be
fixed moving stuff to only one folder? Any kind of trick like this is
absolutely welcome!

Thanks
       Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Red Hat for low memory         http://www.rule-project.org/

Your education begins where what is called your education is over.