Some optimization opportunities

Maks Orlovich mo002j at mail.rochester.edu
Sat Jun 19 15:39:45 CEST 2004

> I think it should not... If I recall correctly, Qt can handle 32bpp and
> 8bpp images, and 8bpp images are expanded on the fly when drawn on the
> screen. The drawing may take a bit longer to complete (but maybe not, since
> there are fewer bytes to read), but the memory saving, as you say, may be
> worth the penalty.

Uhm, we cache icons in memory as -pixmaps-. Not images. So they're always in
native format for the X server as soon as loaded. Also, what makes you think
that:
1. KIconEffect/KImageEffect application works with paletted items?
2. There is a noticeable memory use for icons
3. You can do the conversion with acceptable quality.