KIOSlave

Karl Vogel karl.vogel at seagha.com
Sat Jul 24 13:24:38 CEST 2004

Dirk Mueller wrote:

> On Saturday 24 July 2004 11:59, Karl Vogel wrote:
>
>> kioslave only uses 1 QT exported object (QCString), which causes it to
>> link to 27 extra libraries! Following patch removes the QCString and thus
>> doesn't need linking with all those shared libs. (which reduces the
>> binary size and the startup time in the dynamic linker)
>
> Hmm, but the actual kioslaves (like kio_http e.g.) will for sure depend on
> Qt, so I'm not sure you win anything..

That's indeed true.. but you do gain something:

$ ls -l /opt/kde/bin/kioslave
-rwxr-xr-x  1 kvo kvo 27048 Jul 24 13:09 /opt/kde/bin/kioslave

$ ls -l /opt/kde.vis/bin/kioslave
-rwxr-xr-x  1 kvo kvo 22342 Jul 24 01:43 /opt/kde.vis/bin/kioslave

18% smaller binary due to a smaller dynamic segment. (and extra work for the
dynamic linker)

Question is ofcourse.. does it matter.. I'll let somebody else decide :)