Dynamic symbol table

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Jul 20 16:16:16 CEST 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:08:02AM -0400, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > asynchronicity implies concurrency and concurrency implies trashing.
>
> Asynchronous I/O implies that the I/O scheduler can reorder requests
> to reduce seeking. Which it can't do with synchronous requests.

sure, but this works only as long as the background loading is not
interrupted by "forced reads". iow, as long as the kernel can't tell us
that it is ready with the background loading, we're prolly better off
doing it synchronously. and quite honestly, i don't think the few
somewhat bigger seeks resulting from reading the elf sections in
suboptimal order come even remotely close to the impact of thousands of
seeks resulting from concurrent demand loading.