Dynamic symbol table

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Jul 20 14:56:05 CEST 2004

On Friday 16 of July 2004 16:56, Karl Vogel wrote:
> Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote in
>
> news:200407161545.31019.l.lunak at suse.cz:
> > On Friday 16 of July 2004 14:00, Karl Vogel wrote:
> >> Really?! This seems like a bad idea to me! I did a preload test with
> >> madvise() on all linked libs and well it took a lot longer than
> >> demand paging the libs..
> >
> >  And I did a test as well and it took somewhat shorter than demand
> >  paging the
> > libs. Makes sense given that seeking is much slower than the actual
> > reading. You can search this list archives for madvise for details.
>
> I've read your messages on the subject. But maybe you were using a
> desktop system with a fast 7200RPM disk?.. while my laptop has a slow
> 4500RPM disk.
>
> Or.. maybe I did something wrong :)

 I measured like this:
- reboot
- start in runlevel 3
- (X vt10 :1 -terminate &);sleep 5; DISPLAY=:1 xterm
- measure initial memory usage or whatever
- startkde

 But yes, perhaps the some init script should guess and set LD_NOMADVISE if it
thinks madvise() would do more harm than good on the specific machine.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org