Dynamic symbol table

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Jul 16 17:57:33 CEST 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 03:45:30PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> And I did a test as well and it took somewhat shorter than demand
> paging the libs. Makes sense given that seeking is much slower than
> the actual reading.

please do another test: instead of calling madvise, immediately read one
byte from each mapped page. i.e., don't let the kernel load the pages if
it thinks disks are idle, but enforce synchronous loading. i know for
sure that forced read-ahead improves memcpy behaviour more than cache
prefetch instructions. i wouldn't be surprised if a similar effect could
be observed with disk io - after all, with your current implementation
the program is running concurrently to madvise's effect and thus causes
trashing (theoretically).