Dynamic symbol table

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Jul 16 00:25:46 CEST 2004

On Thursday 15 July 2004 23:55, Karl Vogel wrote:
> Has anybody done some detailed analysis yet as to where most time is wasted
> at startup?! Sprinkling 'date' commands in my startkde script shows that
> ksmserver is where I loose the most time... but that encompasses alot..  so
> time to dig into the ksmserver source (and related commands that are
> started by ksmserver)

You can run startkde like:
  strace -tt -o /tmp/profiledir -f -ff startkde

That will strace all processes started from startkde with timestamps

It has two big disadvantages:
1. strace makes all the syscalls slower
2. it's a pain to sort out which process is what and who is doing what when

Would be nice to have a GUI tool that could analyze such a set of straces and
plot the activity for each process on a timeline

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian at kde.org  |   KDE Community World Summit 2004  |  bastian at suse.com