rml's working on startup preloading

Alexander Kellett lypanov at kde.org
Tue Feb 3 14:28:18 CET 2004

http://primates.ximian.com/~rml/blog/
quote:
"""
Working on some code to preload X/GNOME startup-related data into memory
during boot. Booting on a Linux machine takes longer than with XP, and
that just plain sucks. The preloading I am working on should prevent the
pathological seeky read of many smalls files that occurs during desktop
bring up, by doing that I/O in the background, earlier, and not
serializing everything into I/O wait hell.
"""

i've wanted to do this for ages, but i'm useless.
glad someone is actually tackling it!

mvg,
Alex

--
When women love us, they forgive us everything, even our crimes; when they do
not love us, they give us credit for nothing, not even our virtues.