First support of OProfile with KCachegrind

Josef Weidendorfer Josef.Weidendorfer at gmx.de
Fri Apr 2 15:13:57 CEST 2004

Hello all,

I thought it might be interesting for you that I checked into CVS (kdesdk/
kcachegrind) a converter script from output of "opreport" to cachegrind
format, which then is loadable by KCachegrind.
Comments welcome.

Limitations:
* OProfile does systemwide sampling, but the script will generate one profile
file for every application. So looking at time distribution of all apps on a
system is not possible within KCachegrind.
* As sampling is exclusive cost only, there's no call graph and no inclusive
cost.

There is work in progress by the OProfile people to store a small backtrace
for every sample, so some kind of short call sequences should be visible with
this. Another approach is to first run an application trough calltree to get
the call graph, and use this to estimate inclusive cost for data from
OProfile. This should be done automatic if you load both files together in
KCachegrind.
But this and a nifty comparison mode is still missing ;-(
But for a start, I added the possibility to show 2 event types side by side in
KCachegrind CVS.

Cheers,
Josef