Parallel Startup for KDE.

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Sep 30 14:53:58 CEST 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 06:32:36PM +0100, C.O.Backstrom wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I saw this article on the IBM site:
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html
>
> About making Linux boot faster by parallelising the init scripts. The
> author gets around the problem with dependencies like
>
>      SAMBA---->CUPS
>         |       |
>         +-------+---> Networking
>
> By using make -j and some nifty makefiles. I find this to be a very nice
> solution to the boot-time problem, and it cuts down boot-time for me
> considerably.

neat idea, indeed. i thought about the same some time ago, but didn't
think of make in this context. :)

> I was wondering: Could this (or something similar) be implemented for
> the KDE startup? Or is it already starting up in parallel?

i remember we actually serialized some things in kde, because disk
trashing slows down the loading process.
i think with linux 2.6 and an improved dynamic linker (this combiantion
will load entire objects at once instead of loading pages on demand -
this is _way_ faster with modern harddisks) parallelizing might be an
option again, but so far ...

greetings