Parallel Startup for KDE.

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Sep 30 14:06:59 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 30 of September 2003 12:32, C.O.Backstrom wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> >
> > On Monday 29 September 2003 19:32, C.O.Backstrom wrote:
> >>If I boot to KDE, though, it takes me about 2 minutes.
> >>Obviosly, this is why I'm wondering...
> >
> > The KDE startup sequence is for a great deal sequential because of
> > dependencies.
>
> Ok. Does "for a great deal" mean mean the startup sequence is parallel
> where it can be? Just two "threads" would half the time, wouldn't it?

 Perhaps on multi-CPU systems, but in general no - the same amount of work
needs to be done, and it doesn't matter much in how many threads. But there's
also a difference between KDE startup and system startup. During system
startup, many of the started services wait for hardware to initialize,
connect to remote systems, and similar things that make them wait while doing
nothing. Starting more services in parallel helps there. But with KDE the CPU
should be fully used all the time.

> I've
> also seen some scripts that changes the order of the sequence to achieve
> higer speed.

 Somewhere at www.kde-look.org IIRC. But the script mostly cheated if I
remember correctly.

--