Parallel Startup for KDE.

C.O.Backstrom chp802 at bangor.ac.uk
Mon Sep 29 19:32:36 CEST 2003

Hello,

I saw this article on the IBM site:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html

About making Linux boot faster by parallelising the init scripts. The
author gets around the problem with dependencies like

      SAMBA---->CUPS
         |       |
         +-------+---> Networking

By using make -j and some nifty makefiles. I find this to be a very nice
solution to the boot-time problem, and it cuts down boot-time for me
considerably. I was wondering: Could this (or something similar) be
implemented for the KDE startup? Or is it already starting up in parallel?
I can't find any info about this. Is the KDE startup script-based?
Anyho: With the init-script mods, I can now boot to console in a couple of
seconds. If I boot to KDE, though, it takes me about 2 minutes.
Obviosly, this is why I'm wondering...

/Chris

C.O.Backstrom         chp802 at bangor.ac.uk