Parallel Startup for KDE.

Stefan Heimers stefan at heimers.ch
Wed Oct 1 22:29:15 CEST 2003

I had some rather strange ideas about those matters today, some are
similar to what others proposed.

1) Make two kde-init-skripts, one loading disk intense tasks, one

+ This will avoid concurrent disk seeks from different programs,
   while keeping the cpu busy all the time.
- Might not be practical because of dependencies

2) Inside multithreaded programs, try to arrange new threads so they are
startet right before disk access from other threads. This would fill
the wait time during disk seek, even if programs are started
sequentially.

3) Load all config data from a single file in order to make disk cache
effective and reduce head repositioning. I know a quick&dirty trick:
Create a small filesystem on a file and mount it through a loopback
device to /usr/share/kde, put symlinks for /etc/kde3,
/usr/share/applnk,... pointing into /usr/share/kde

Question: If you mount a filesytem from a file in stead of a partition,
what happens to disk cache? Is the file containing the filesystem
cached? Or the single files inside the filesystem? Or both?

Stefan