Menus: unnecessary repaints?!

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jun 6 14:11:00 CEST 2003

On Friday 06 of June 2003 13:01, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:44:21AM +0200, Karl Vogel wrote:
> > >
> > > sure you would, but invalidating the image if the to-be-scrolled
> > > part is (partially) obscured should not be that hard in theory. of
> > > course things get somewhat more complicated if you want to do
> > > partial scrolls to reuse every single already visible character ...
> >
> > I've never done any X coding, but doesn't X take care of the
> > layering?! ie.  can't you just scroll the entire window contents
> > without having to take overlapping windows in mind?!
>
> only with "save unders" or "backing store" or "double buffering" or
> something like that enabled. by default things are painted directly to
> the screen, afaik. lubos will know. :)

 I think it could possibly work with backing store. I've never tried it
though. But almost nobody has backing store enabled anyway. It used to be
buggy AFAIK, and I just today got answer to my proposal to enable it by
default in SuSE saying that backing store can cause huge memory usage - I
doubt this a bit though.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer