Menus: unnecessary repaints?!

Karl Vogel karl.vogel at seagha.com
Fri Jun 6 10:39:15 CEST 2003

On 05 Jun 2003, you wrote in kde.kde-optimize:

> It's only a problem if you scroll a few lines. If you scroll a lot,
> the whole screen needs to be refreshed anyways.

That's only the case if you scroll more than a page within the refresh
timer interval. (which, when I'm working, is seldomly the case)

If the screen scrolls less than 1 page in the timer interval, then using a
scroll instead of repaint will always be more bandwidth efficient than a
repaint.

> It shouldn't be that hard to add some scroll detection and do a
> scroll+repaint when it has scrolled only a little. Not sure if you
> will run into problems with invalid areas that need repainting before
> scrolling though.

Well it's only useful for low bandwidth scenario's, as the KDE 3.1.1 patch
optimized the repainting by using 2 timers.

BTW: the 3.1.2 konsole repainting is pretty broken anyway. It happens ALOT
that stuff is left on the display (problem is that I haven't been able to
see a pattern yet).

Guess we are getting a bit side tracked from the menu issue :-)