Menus: unnecessary repaints?!

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Jun 6 04:37:53 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 05:32:04PM +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Thursday 05 June 2003 14:46, Karl Vogel wrote:
> > > When I am using KDE via a slow internet connection, I can see lots of
> > > things that look like more work is done than is needed to draw stuff.
> > > I would recommend all kde-optimize people to try this yourself.
> >
> > Problem is that people don't have low bandwidth in mind when designing. (ie
> > good example here is how Konsole works.. when the screen scrolls, the
> > entire text is repainted, instead of just doing a scroll + repaint of the
> > new line -- this might make the implementation more abstract, but it's a
> > killer on low bandwidth connections)
>
> It's only a problem if you scroll a few lines. If you scroll a lot, the whole
> screen needs to be refreshed anyways.

obviously ...

> It shouldn't be that hard to add some scroll detection

why detection? what about not throwing away the information in the first
place? the current abstraction is a bit like java ... Nice Idea (tm).

> and do a scroll+repaint when it has scrolled only a little. Not sure
> if you will run into problems with invalid areas that need repainting
> before scrolling though.

sure you would (and, fwiw, netscape/moz, openoffice and certainly many
other apps don't get it right), but invalidating the image if the
to-be-scrolled part is (partially) obscured should not be that hard in
theory. of course things get somewhat more complicated if you want to do
partial scrolls to reuse every single already visible character ...

greetings