Menus: unnecessary repaints?!

Karl Vogel karl.vogel at seagha.com
Thu Jun 5 11:30:11 CEST 2003

I'm running a KDE 3.1.2 session on a remote X server and it appears that
menu's are repainted completely when you move between menu entries. e.g. if
I select a menu and then move between menu entries 1-2 repeatedly, I see the
entire menu (all entries) flash. I only see the graphic icons in front of
the text flash, the text itself appears to be stable (so I don't know if
that also get's repainted).

The setup is the following:

- KDE 3.1.2 built with Konstruct running on RH8 (P-II 400Mhz)
- X server is Hummingbird Exceed v7.1.0.0 running on Win2k
- network is 100mbit ethernet

Don't know if this matters:

- .NET style
- Effects: Enable GUI effects ON, Menu drop shadow ON, rest disabled

On my home machine, I don't see this happening, but there I run it on a
local XFree session on a way faster machine.. so it probably still happens,
but too fast to see.

Emulating this is probably possible by using Xnest over the shaper device,
or with traffic shaping (tc) over a local lan.