Sendfile in file ioslave

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Thu Jul 3 21:21:33 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 16:41, George Staikos wrote:
> > I tried to do some benchmarks, and I really doesn't noticed any
> > speed-ups on my system, only a minor CPU-usage reduction. If I increased
> > the buffer size to about 3 MB,

Not a good idea on low-memory boxes (64Mb and such) though...

> > it resulted in a major load reduction,
> > but of course made the progress dialog very unresponsive.
>
>     Hmm.  I wonder if there is any way to solve this problem.  Is it
> possible to get progress feedback some other way from sendfile()?  Maybe we
> could extend KIO to handle this.

Would it be possible to handle parts of the code in threads? A GUI and a
worker thread would together make the thing a lot more responsive.

The "only" downside is that I somewhat doubt the KIO API allows for threading.
I don't know for sure, so I'm still asking though.

--
Martijn