Use poll() instead of select()

Alexander Neundorf kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:12:01 +0100

On Friday 31 January 2003 00:10, Andrew Morton wrote:

> So it would be sensible to start abstracting the core fd
> polling function out into some switchable layer for when
> this stuff comes along.

I really doubt that abstracting the poll()/select() with yet another layer
would improve anything.

I even doubt that replacing select() with poll() would improve anything
noticable even on older machines (e.g. you know.... my K6/200)

I think this makes only sense when the app has a lot of fd's and a lot of
traffic (e.g. web server, streaming media servers and other things like
this). This is not the case for the average desktop app.
select() really ain't the bottleneck, I think.

Bye
Alex