comments on KDE performance tips

Martijn Klingens kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:56:30 +0100

On Thursday 16 January 2003 14:29, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > Incidentally: be aware that the linker lays files out in strange manners
> > - it seeks all over the file placing bits and pieces everywhere, so there
> > is no correspondence between offset-into-file and offset-into-disk.  But
> > if you then take the output of the linker and copy it somewhere else (ie:
> > `make install') then the copied file _will_ have good linear layout.
> > This should be borne in mind when studying application startup times:
> > don't try to measure the startup time for an executable or library which
> > was laid out on disk by /usr/bin/ld.
>
>  We have this only for Qt, don't we? Others are used after make install.

Qt does support a prefix and make install too since 3.0 (3.0.1 IIRC). In the
3.0 series it was kinda buggy (no unlink when copying libqt, causing the
mmapped .so file of your running KDE to become truncated, don't need to
explain what that causes :), but the current Qt works perfectly using
prefixes.

--
Martijn