optimizing & api-doc

Alexander Kellett kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:34:12 +0100

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 03:53:06PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Thursday 16 of January 2003 14:47, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> > faster code isn't so simple a phrase really. it comprises
> > two things, memory usage, and algorithm optimisation. there
> > are not many problems with algrms in kde due to the heavy
>
> I wouldn't bet on it without checking first.

true. nor me. but most problems in the core libs
and applications are not due to lack of algorithm
optimisations. i hope :)

> > are there any tools for looking at object allocation stats?
>
> kdesdk/kmtrace

aaaah. yet another use for clearing some hd space
and installing kdesdk. thanks. i always just assumed
that did the same sort of thing as valgrind.

> > maybe apple's arena is slightly better than the zoneallocator?
> > can some docs on the usage of the zoneallocator be written?
> > or did i miss a url? ;-)
>
> Make sure you're using a fast malloc() implementation when playing with
> allocations. The one in current glibc versions is hopelessly slow. I wonder
> if zone allocators really make noticeable difference when having a good
> malloc implementation.

umm... i'd hoped that 2.3.1 glibc had gotten the good version.
i saw a commit of it aggessss ago into glibc but i didn't really
check its progess wrt branches and tags and stuff.

Alex

--
"[...] Konqueror open source project. Weighing in at less than
            one tenth the size of another open source renderer"