comments on KDE performance tips

Maks Orlovich kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:41:51 -0500

> doesn't gconf have answers for this sort of problem?
> i thought they used a central db and a cache, and alerted
> apps of config changes and stuff?

I don't think we open enough config files for it to make much difference
(although I may be wrong when it comes to cold starts and machines with
little memory), I think, since the commonly used files will probably be in
the caches since after the desktop startup anyway; particularly since KConfig
parser and I/O code are very fast, while the data-structures are slow
(Maintaining a red-black tree with a key containing two strings is a lot more
expensive than one would expect). Plus, you have to do IPC, which even when
hyperoptimized may still take some context switches.