optimizing & api-doc

Alexander Kellett kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:47:53 +0100

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 03:18:55PM +0100, Michael Olbrich wrote:
<skip>
> From what I've seen, many speed problems within c++ programs have their
> origin in the language. In c++ it's easy to hide complexity. This helps
> to have a clean design, and makes the developers productive. But the
> complexity is still there and can make the programs slow.
<skip>
> I think, things like this can help writing faster code while keeping it
> simple and clean.

kinda.

faster code isn't so simple a phrase really. it comprises
two things, memory usage, and algorithm optimisation. there
are not many problems with algrms in kde due to the heavy
usage of qt's nice helpers such as qmaps.

the other area is memory usage, that _can_ be improved from what
i see. unfortunatley in a lot of cases it will require bic changes.

memory allocations due to excessive object use and lack of zoned
allocator usage are coming up really high in the system profiles
i'm doing atm.

are there any tools for looking at object allocation stats?
does kcachegrind do this sort of stuff?, i didn't have time
over the last month to use it heavily as i've got no home system :)

maybe apple's arena is slightly better than the zoneallocator?
can some docs on the usage of the zoneallocator be written?
or did i miss a url? ;-)

Alex

--
"[...] Konqueror open source project. Weighing in at less than
            one tenth the size of another open source renderer"