DIOTA

Sean McGlynn kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 02:19:51 +0000

Hello All,

Thought I'd mention a nice looking piece of software which might be of
interest to some people here. (Apologies if it isn't).

DIOTA (Dynamic Instrumentation, Optimization and Transformation of
Applications) looks fairly similar to Valgrind, although it takes a different
approach to implementation (and it's only at a 0.5 release at the moment).

Like Valgrind, it doesn't require any modification to existing code etc. One
thing that might help some people is that it *does* support MMX, MMX2, SSE
etc. instructions, so should be usable with NVidia's OpenGL drivers. Maybe
someone here who uses Valgrind a lot might like to try it and give a
comparison report.

Website: http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/~ronsse/diota/

Latest Paper: http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/~ronsse/diota/doc/WBT2002.pdf
(111KB, 11 pages, Sep 2002)

The paper gives a brief comparison of itself and Valgrind on page 2.
Konqueror is also mentioned (page 10) as a testcase for DIOTA's stability.

Linux/IA32 only I'm afraid, although it is based on some earlier SPARC work.

[disclaimer: haven't tried it myself yet[tm] ;-)]

Cheers,
Sean
--
Sean McGlynn