comments on KDE performance tips

Shridhar Daithankar kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:06:22 +0530

On 15 Jan 2003 at 9:36, Maks Orlovich wrote:

> The likely reason is that Mandrake initscripts inappropriately clear
> /tmp/kde-* directories on bootup, which forces KDE to rebuild ksyscoca cache
> everytime on bootup. I suggest you comment out that line in
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysint
> (Search for "#GNOME and KDE related cleanup")

Hey, thanks for that. I turned that off. Also turned off NSPlugins scans in
startkde. Now it starts in 23 sec. on bootup and 15 sec for a cached startup.

FreeBSD isn't that fast afterall. I am sure there are other goodies that could
be turned off rather than scanning for each startup. Haven't looked into fonts
stuff yet. That must be heavy as well..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Telephone, n.:	An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages
of making a disagreeable person keep his distance.		-- Ambrose Bierce