comments on KDE performance tips

Shridhar Daithankar kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:19:14 +0530

On 14 Jan 2003 at 23:06, Neil Stevens wrote:

> On Tuesday January 14, 2003 10:36, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > Nothing  wrong with that but when we are looking at optimising KDE,
> > cross-OS performance should be seen as well.
>
> Most of the things discussed here should be portable, or at least
> applicable everywhere.  Surely enable-final, disable-debug, and optimizing
> one's kernel for lower latency can be done on every OS.  Does the
> replacement malloc not work for you?

Well, I agree with you. I haven't tried anything you are suggesting because I
need to have a stable environment(Job definition.. Can't have betas rolling
over..) But that is not the point..

> KDE can't fix one platform's linker-caused startup times generically,
> though.  Fixing the linker necessarily takes some sort of
> platform-specific fix for that linker:  maybe an add-on tool, a fix to the
> platform tools, or some extra configuration that takes advantage of the
> existing tools.

That is correct. However we should also know, what is the fastest performance
of KDE. If KDE can start under 15 sec. on one OS, it should be able to do so on
other OS as well. Otherwise it becomes a problem of OS/environment.

Performance improvements are always nice.I would just like to make sure that
KDE does not take unnecessary blame.

> If you know of such fixes for FreeBSD, please share them with us.

Sigh. I have no idea. I generally follow pre-link discussions on web but I am
an application programmer and never looked into OS internals. At this point of
time, I have little to offer except some observations.

If I have anything, I won't hold it back for sure..;-)

Bye
 Shridhar

--
user, n.:	The word computer professionals use when they mean "idiot."		-- Dave
Barry, "Claw Your Way to the Top"[I always thought "computer professional" was