comments on KDE performance tips

Shridhar Daithankar kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:06:57 +0530

On 13 Jan 2003 at 15:03, Alexander Kellett wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 06:28:05AM -0800, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > And what's the alternative?  Tell them to learn a foreign language while
> > waiting for KDE apps to load?
>
> new binutils (with combreloc) + a new glibc.
> i.e, any of the new distributions.

I have been reading this list for some 3-4 days and I can't help to notice that
all the discussions are centred to linux.

Nothing  wrong with that but when we are looking at optimising KDE, cross-OS
performance should be seen as well.

I have a dual boot PC at home. Mandrake 9 and freeBSD4.7. They have almost same
version of KDE, 3.0.4 and 3.0.3

When I say startx in mandrake, it takes 45 sec. to come up with KDE with
sessions running which includes a sole konsole.

On freeBSD, it takes 15 seconds to do the same thing.

Both the test times were measured after boot up i.e. no disk caching. I have P-
733/128MB/40GB seagate disk.

On my office machine, P-IV-1GHz/512MB/40 GB seagate, I get 35 sec. for mandrake
and 15 sec. for freeBSD.

Considering that mandrake has gcc-3.2 and freeBSD4.7 has gcc-2.95-4, I would
have expected it the other way round. But the difference is so large that I can
not imagine what must be causing it.

On freeBSD, KDE is as fast as GNOME on mandrake. I might ditch mandrake just
for this single reason.

Are there any tricks from freeBSD land need to be ported to linux? I can not
imagine a faster KDE than it is on freeBSD.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Thought for the day:
    Communist (n): one who has given up all hope