Useful books

David Leimbach kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 07:10:54 -0600

On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 03:59 PM, colin.desmond@btopenworld.com
wrote:

> Having read some of the recent posts there seems to be a lack of good
> books on the subject of optimising C   both at design time and during
> tinkering afterwards.
>
> I have used the following books with great success over the last
> couple of years and can recommend them:
>
> [1], [2] Effective & More Effective C   , Scott Meyers, Very good for
> design time optimisations and gaining a thorough understanding of what
> happens to the code you wirte once the compiler gets hold of it.
>
> [3] Effective STL, Scott Meyers, if you use STL this is essential
> reading.
>
> [4] Efficient C  , Dov Bulka & Davis Mayhew, possibly aimed at the
> already written code and how to improve it.

I don't think this is aimed at already written code.... for that you
may want to checkout "Refactoring" published by Addison Wesley.  I have
this book and I don't think you can help a bad design once its proven
to be inefficient.  Sometimes you *really do* have to throw crap out to
make good stuff happen.