comments on KDE performance tips

Alexander Kellett kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:40:24 +0100

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 03:00:02PM +0100, Mathieu Kooiman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > - use special kernel. What are the desktop kernel option ? Pre-emptive and
> > I don't remember the other. Gentoo has it.
>
> The preemptive kernel patch by Robert Love and the Low-Latency by Alan Cox (if
> my memory serves me right). I highly doubt this would attribute to better
> 'performance' since these patches will only make the kernel (seem) more
> responsive under load.

well, performance on a desktop system _is_ responsiveness. (disclaimer: imo)
fyi it was andrew morton who did the low-latency patch :)

more important to me was the i/o disk scheduler stuff
that went into 2.5, the dma cdrom patch that gentoo
uses, and possibly the o(1) scheduler, thought that
in some cases made things slower unfortunatly.

> I've done some stresstesting (although not with KDE) and in 'raw performance'
> it was even a tad SLOWER than the stock 2.4.20 kernel.

yet in other cases (possible anal) pre-empt makes it faster.
i know for certain that preempt improved my (as a person) performance :)

Alex

--
"[...] Konqueror open source project. Weighing in at less than
            one tenth the size of another open source renderer"