comments on KDE performance tips

Philippe FREMY kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:34:13 +0100

	Hi,

http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli/download/tips.html is a nice page.

Other trick:

- renice X to -10

- use special kernel. What are the desktop kernel option ? Pre-emptive and I
don't remember the other. Gentoo has it.

- compilation tricks would be a nice addition to the page. IIRC, there is
--enable-final, something with combreloc and of course, the prelinking.
Optimising for your CPU might be a good idea too. Latest gcc also produces
faster programs ?

- fs trick: setting noatime when mounting filesystem makes it non-posix but
faster.

- if I upgrade only one part of my hardware, which part will make KDE faster
? More memory ? Quicker CPU ? Quicker hard disk ? quicker graphic card ?

	regards,

	Philippe

ps: kde-optimise -> unknown user. I think this is an acceptable english
word. Would it be possible to have an alias ?