Developers and getting them to improve their code.

Maksim Orlovich kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:27:55 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Benjamin Meyer wrote:

> > Seems good to me.  Probably would be best for us to find a gcc/compiler
> > developer to give us a difinitive answer on what is better.  Anyone havea
> > gcc contact?
>
> Replying to my own post....
>
> After hanging out on #c for a little while talking about the issue the
> concensus was to omit the deconstructor.  "As a general rule, you should
> always let the compiler generate the code it's supposed to automatically
> generate."  And if we do create an empty constructor/deconstructor, they
> should be inlined.

However, for library code both options - no empty destructor and an inline
one may be highly undesirable since they would likely make it impossible
to add a fully implemented destructor in a binary compatible way (i.e. it
would not be guaranteed at all that it would not be called). Applications
are an another matter, however..