Developers and getting them to improve their code.

Benjamin Meyer kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:49:03 -0500

> > Code bloat. Between Qt and KDE there are a number of classes that do
> > the same thing such as far as the developer is concerned.  (Such as
> > QSocket/KSocket). These classes confuse developers for they don't
> > know what to write for.  Even having them have the same api (minus
> > class name) is a good start.  Combining these classes [with the help
> > of TrollTech] would not only reduce binary size of the libraries it
> > would free up developers who are doing duplication of work of
> > enhancing these classes.
>
> I'm not sure if we actually have any classes that are the same. KDE one=
> always contain something that's missing in the Qt version.

Yes, but often the KDE class reimpliments the entire thing rather then ex=
tend=20
the Qt version.  This is often for history reasons (the kde version came=20
first).  KConfig, KProcess, and KSocket come to mind right off the bat. =20
Intigrating the additions into the Qt class, removing them or making the=20
api's as similar as possible.  This is something that must be discussed w=
ith=20
the TrollTech guys also of course sense they are half of the problem.  Be=
yond=20
the bloat from a developer standpoint it is just confusing.

-Benjamin Meyer =20