performance tips wanted

Maks Orlovich kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 22:47:37 -0500

>  time to make this list useful. In order to make everybody notice in the
> announcement (coming RSN) that this list is not for clueless users, I plan
> to post a link to a page with some performance tips next to it ;). Right
> now at http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli/download/tips.html , still work in
> progress (mostly based on one older mail of mine). In case somebody knows
> some more that could be added, please tell. Thanks.

Well, one easy tip:
(KDE >= 3.1) If you don't use bookmarks toolbar, turn it off. Doing so will
save time building the UI, loading the favicons, etc. (reading bookmarks
itself, too)

Turning off background images for the iconview saves some time, too (I think
it was like 70ms here - scary stuff).

(I wonder how much one can save by hiding the cogwheel? ;-) )

Oh, and "Upgrade to KDE3.1" is a good tip, too, I think.

BTW, when do you think would be a good time to backport the kimggallery and
the kfmclient speed ups? 3.1.1 timeframe?*

*I would have done the image gallery one immediately if I understood how one
could get the -no-undefined stuff to work.