Konsole scrolling

Waldo Bastian kde-optimize@mail.kde.org
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:17:37 +0100

On Friday 21 February 2003 12:24, Karl Vogel wrote:
> Using konsole there is a considerable lag feeling as it can't keep up with
> the scrollbar movement. Trying the same with an xterm gives satisfactory
> performance.

But I think this is for a large part because konsole (from KDE 3.1) tries to
paint as often as possible, my patch schedules repaints more cleverly in this
case, it makes it more likely that a repaint begins directly after you stop
scrolling which reduces the laggy feeling.

I don't know if it happens but I can also imagine that with a network
connection the client (konsole) finishes a repaint a long time before the
server is done with it (due to the buffering done by the network). If that is
the case, the client might be doing more repaints than the server can really
handle (or at least there will be more lag, because there is still a repaint
being buffered in the network at the time the client sends a new repaint)

If that happens (that should be checked) it might be worth to sync with the
X-server after a repaint to be sure that we aren't sending more repaints than
the server can handle.

In practical terms that would mean a kapp->flushX() and kapp->syncX() at the
end of showBulk(). Could someone with a more thorough understanding of the X
protocol comment on whether that might have the desired effect?

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org -=|[ SuSE, The Linux Desktop Experts ]|=- bastian@suse.com