dcop auto-overuse

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Dec 10 13:14:26 CET 2003

On Wednesday 10 of December 2003 12:03, David Faure wrote:

> > > I would say that when a KDE application is started, that it should not
> > > start the DCOP server when KDE is not running.  Some people have
> > > complained that this is the biggest problem with running a minimal X
> > > with a fullscreen konsole, and I can speak from experience that
> > > starting Konsole on my SparcStation 20 w/2x125MHz CPUs & 360Mb RAM from
> > > ratpoison (minimal window manager) takes 3-5 seconds to start.  When
> > > wanting to run it at startup, it was quite annoying to have a 3-5
> > > second delay to get started in an environment that otherwise started
> > > instantly.
> >
> >   So if I start app X and KDE is not running, it doesn't start dcopserver
> > and doesn't talk dcop.  Then I start app Y.  App Y sees that KDE is not
> > running and does not start dcopserver or talk dcop.  I want app X to talk
> > to app Y. How?  Also since most apps use kded, it's kind of pointless to
> > avoid starting dcopserver.  It's almost guaranteed that an average KDE
> > app is going to talk to kded sooner or later.
>
> Yes, most KDE apps need KIO, kded, etc.
> konsole is a rather special case, I don't think it needs any of that. kdm
> neither. So maybe konsole and kdm should not register automatically to
> dcop. At least not when dcopserver isn't already running.

 This is just begging for trouble. If there will be dozens of places where one
will have to do this manually, at least in some of the places this will be
wrong. BTW, kdm actually doesn't register with dcop AFAIK.

> IMHO this only applies to those two (and maybe a few others), while most
> KDE apps should still start kdeinit etc. on startup if not already running.

 I think a sufficient solution for this could be one or both of:
- clearly document and make people know the fact that they can run 'kdeinit'
manually and then all daemons will stay in memory and KDE apps will start
quickly
- make longer the interval between the time when dcopserver detects there's no
KDE app running and the time when klauncher shuts down kdeinit+daemons (it's
only 10 seconds now, kdelibs/dcop/dcopserver.cpp
DCOPServer::removeConnection()).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer