dcop auto-overuse

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon Dec 8 17:50:38 CET 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:43:22AM -0500, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> On Monday 08 December 2003 11:07 am, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > while we all certainly appreciate geiseri's (and other's) hard work
> > to make many kde apps scriptable, you'll certainly have to agree,
> > that >99% of the users don't need it. still, this slows down
> > application startup,
>
> Have you profiled it, or are you just making a wild guess? If you did,
> I would love to see your numbers, since last I looked at it, DCOP
> registeration took a few milliseconds at most, so if I measured it
> right, it was negligible compared to just about everything else.

well, maybe the "especially" was strategically misplaced. iow, i don't
care about the in-kde case. hmm, actually, i don't have anything against
auto-registration when the server is already running.

> The non-KDE case is of course different, and I wouldn't really comment
> on it, since I don't care much.

but you should; it's one of the arguments used against kde apps ...

> Well almost: I wonder whether it would make sense to just not launch
> dcop server if not absolutely needed for the app. Of course, Konqueror
> is an example of an app that does need DCOP quite significantly.

yeah ... unfortunately any "sufficiently kde-ish" application will need
the server - at some point; this is where background/on-demand loading
comes into play.
d-bus will solve the transport server problem, but the other kde daemons
will stay in the game, so this still needs to be addressed.

greetings