Speed sensation

Eray Ozkural exa at kablonet.com.tr
Wed Apr 16 01:10:09 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 21:43, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> the problem is not actually the time it runs but the time it does not run,
> because the kernel has something else to do (search files, read data, mmap
> libraries, resolve symbols). gprof does not compute this, therefore its
> totally useless as debugging method for this case.

Hmm, this brings to my mind the possibility of running some of the startup
tasks in parallel so that we can work around system blocks and utilize CPU
better. Probably not too much to be gained but still if there is I/O, it
could be possible to overlap I/O with CPU (at least in theory!)

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara  KDE Project: http://www.kde.org