[Kde-nonlinux] Bittorrent. Where's the torrent?

Andrew Hunter rexbron at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 22:59:43 CET 2008

John Velman wrote:
> I want to get KDE 4 native for OX X (leaopard, imac).  Have never used
> bitttorrent before, but since this seems to be the only way to get kde 4
> for mac, I decided to try.
>
> I installed Tomato as the bittorrent client.

Use transmission, Tomato is rotten.

Have you opened ports on your router? See http://portforward.com

> I have a broadband cable connection (cox).  In the past I've downloaded multiple
> CD's for linux distributions, never experiencing anything remotely like
> this slowness (not since I downloaded stuff over a 56K telephone modem
> years ago.).

If the ports are open (and the client configured correctly), you ISP
could be throttleing bittorrent.

> Is there something I can adjust to make things go faster?  I can't find any
> info on setting up for bittorrent.  Seems to me the number of seeds and
> peers is beyond my control.  Don't know what a "new tracker" is, or if it
> wouold help.

See above. Search wikipedia for more information about bittorrent.

> Baring my having done something really dumb out of ignorance (an an
> inability to find TFM), this seems like a really bad way to distribute
> software.
>
> In olden times when we wanted to distribute something big over telephone,
> we usually split the binary up into manageable pieces that could be ftp'd
> separately and reassembled once downloaded.  This was also necessary when
> saving to 1.4Mb floppy's.  I fondly remember DJGPP being quite usable and
> transportable from home to work by this means.   Though slow, at least it
> was predictable, with definite milestones achieved when each chunk was
> completed.  And possible to predict when you would be finished. Of course
> in those days big might have been 40MB.
>
> Still, bittorrent seems a miserable way to get the mac version of KDE out.

That is still 2.45Gb of server rape over ftp per person. Seeing as Ben
(RangerRick)  does not have a beefy enough server for all the files (The
Everything torrent has been downloaded over 15 000 times IIRC)

Bittorrent allows us to share some of that load.