[Kde-nonlinux] ICU configuration in Mac build

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 21:19:59 CET 2008

The ICU version that accompanies KDE4 for Mac OS X seems to have some
issues.  I get the following when I attempt to execute icu-config:
$ /opt/kde4-deps/bin/icu-config --cflags
### icu-config: Can't find /usr/lib/libicuuc.dylib - ICU prefix is wrong.
###      Try the --prefix= or --exec-prefix= options
###      or --detect-prefix
### icu-config: Exitting.

I'm not sure that the problem lies with the KDE build of it, though,
since the version installed by Fink (and provided by Apple) gives the
same results:

$ /sw/bin/icu-config --cflags
### icu-config: Can't find /usr/lib/libicuuc.dylib - ICU prefix is wrong.
###      Try the --prefix= or --exec-prefix= options
###      or --detect-prefix
### icu-config: Exitting.

The library that it's looking for is not located in /usr/lib, but
there is a similar one located in
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/lib/libicucore.dylib.  The real
version of it, though, is in /opt/kde4-deps/lib/libicuuc.dylib.  Is
this a problem with the KDE4 install of ICU or something else?  I have
other libraries which depend on ICU to build and they look for the
output of icu-config.  When they fail to find it, I simply pass in the
necessary library and header information on the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS
variables, but it would be nice if icu-config was working properly.
Any idea on what's up?  I had this problem in both Tiger and Leopard
with the KDE4-installed version of ICU-config.

--Greg