[Kde-nonlinux] kspread locks up on seemingly simple spreadsheets (1.4.2/kde 3.4.3)

Raphael Langerhorst raphael.langerhorst at kdemail.net
Sat Feb 4 14:59:56 CET 2006

Hi James,

I don't think this issue belongs to the kde-nonlinux list (kde-freebsd would
have been better), but I don't even think it's FreeBSD related, but just
KSpread (or maybe kde, but we'll find out).

I suggest you send the same mail to koffice at kde.org (register here:

We can certainly help you to get back your lost data (and fix the bug that
caused that), but you need to provide us with the file itself. If it is
confidential you should probably send it to one of the kspread developers to
help you with it.

Regards,
Raphael

Am Mittwoch, 1. Februar 2006 04:20 schrieb James Long:
> I run kde-3.4.3 on an IBM Thinkpad T30 (P4 2GHz 1GB) running FreeBSD
> 6.0-STABLE.  I have a fair amount of problems with relatively simple
> spreadsheets causing kspread 1.4.2 to wedge.  By relatively simple, I
> mean no heavy math, just +-*/.  The simplest spreadsheet that causes
> this problem is essentially a "check register" type of application,
> where a given row takes the previous row's balance, adds some numbers
> (there's an IF(a;b;c) involved), and produces a new balance for that
> row.
>
> A more complex, but highly similar form is a mortgage history
> spreadsheet I use, which starts with a beginning mortgage balance,
> calculates each months' interest principal and escrow, and produces a
> running total of declining principal balance, interest paid for the
> year, and escrow balance.
>
> The first (simpler) example is new, but the mortgage spreadsheet used
> to run under kde 3.I forget, but probably 3.3 or earlier.  I can no
> longer open this spreadsheet, which means that my records are
> essentially lost unless I can get kspread to behave, or migrate to
> other software which can read kspread files.
>
> I welcome suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot this and regain
> access to my valuable data.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jim

Raphael Langerhorst