[Kde-nonlinux] Greetings

Francisco Gimeno kikov at kikov.org
Fri Sep 9 16:50:42 CEST 2005

Hello:

I'm new to this list and I want to actively collaborate in the
development of kde for non linux architectures. Indeed, i'm quite
interesting on helping with the KDE/Mac port using Qt/Mac.

It seems that we are several people interested on that. And some of
us think that it's a KDE4 work ( not KDE3 ).

I was willing to discuss several points and I think this is the right
place to do it:
- Building system: we don't know yet which system has been chosen for
KDE4. Once we know it, we could begin to patch and submit changes to
upstream of that tool.
- Removing X11 stuff: most of KDE users and developer are using X11-
based systems. We have to "convince" to those developers not
infecting the code with X11 code. At least, it should be easy
removing them ( for eye candy ) or better, substituting with Cocoa
( or another backend ) for non-x11 systems. Special cases, like dcop
auth system ( based on ICE, using X11 ) should be discussed here.
-

So, I think we should being informed on KDE Core decissions for at
least these topics:
* Building system: scons, bksys, autostuff, cmake... which is going
to be used for KDE4?
* Dcop infraestructure: what happen with dbus as transport layer?
* Eye Candy infraestructure: pay attention to the abuse of X11 calls.
* ( more incompatible things that prevent running KDE well on Mac )

what do you think?

BR,
Francisco Gimeno