[Kde-nonlinux] Remote Console control of KDE

Robert Zagarello bzag0 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 02:01:42 CEST 2005

I am running NetBSD V2.0.2 and KDE 3.4.0.  I am trying
to setup and test console control of a NetBSD PC
(i386) from initial boot into KDE and back out for
remote reboot control.

I've figured out how to get into KDE without user
intervention and logon, and how to configure Desktop
Sharing to permit this kind of control.  The idea is
to get onto the user's desktop to cleanly shutdown his
session and to execute a reboot from an SSH session
when necessary.

The problem is that once I use Remote Desktop to
connect, if I close Remote Desktop on the remote
computer, I cannot get into the client's KDE Desktop
again because Desktop Sharing says the server is not
accepting any more connections.  I believe what is
happening is that Desktop Sharing has the connection
running and I have not (nor know how to) terminate
this connection properly without forcing a KDE logout
and a reboot (without terminating Remote Desktop),
which is what I want to avoid.

Is there a way around this?  For example, a process
PID termination?

There is one other possibility.  The client's KDE sits
behind a NAT router and I have the port forwarded, but
only the one port.  Are additional connections
possible with incremented ports, i.e., if 5900 is
tied-up and I try to connect does Desktop Sharing
expect 5901 to be used ? (because 5901 is not enabled
on the port forwarder...  admittedly I haven't tried
this yet..)

BZAG