[Kde-nonlinux] KDE on Cygwin on external harddrive

Carmil 1 carmil1 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 27 19:54:12 CEST 2005

I installed Cygwin (1.5.16) +KDE on an external USB harddrive on WindowsXP
sp2.

The drive was mounted to a path (instead of a drive-letter) on the local
NTFS C: drive
so C:\CygwinHD is actually the extrenal drive.
this can be configured in the "disk management" here-
START "%SystemRoot%\System32\mmc.exe" "%SystemRoot%\System32\compmgmt.msc"

The installation was using Cygwin setup.exe tool, and went smoothly.

The terminal was running the bash with no apparent problems.

I did `rebaseall` as explaind in the FAQ
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/kde3/faq.php
and restarted the computer (just to be on the safe side).
now i tried to `startx &`
On the very first time it was asking me for locale info (language and
country) - as expected.
But it hanged at the stage of 'initializing system services' and after a
minute the splash screen disappeared and i saw only the blue screen of the
XWin.
For some unknown reason it complained that the 'dcopserver' service is
already running, while i'm positively sure that it was not running before i
launched the `startx` (i check in the TASKMGR.EXE, and looked that the file
/home/myusername/.DCOPserver_xxxxxxxx__0 was not existing).

When i ran the XWin alone and then ran `kwrite` (for example) it ran ok. but
the KDE Desktop itself would not run.

I changed the mount point of the external harddisk to be a normal
drive-letter (instead of path), and fixed the registry keys accordingly (in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin) and tried again, it was
now running perfectly.

FYI

C1