[Kde-nonlinux] KDE Wierdness on Openbsd 3.4

Dave Feustel dfeustel at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 6 21:56:33 CEST 2004

I have been running KDE 3.1 in user mode
(as opposed to root) on Openbsd 3.4 for months
with no problems. I have just installed Openbsd 3.4
and then most, if not all of the KDE packages on
an older computer belonging to my neighbors.
Ksh is the default shell. I put in .profile the commands
startkde;sync;sync;clear;exit
so that KDE starts up immediately when a user
logs in, and the user logs out when KDE is exited.
(I know that kdm does this automagically, but I have
yet to get kdm or xdm to work for me, so this is my
work-around.

Now the wierdness is that KDE initialises properly for me,
but not for any of the other user accounts. The first sign
of this is that in the KDE first time initialization screen,
selections for the country and language fields are present
for my login id, but blank for all other users. I wondered if
wheel group had anything to do with this and sure enough,
when I added wheel group to a new user, KDE initialized
properly for that user. Now I don't really want everybody
to have to be in wheel group to use kde. What is the fix?

Thanks,
--

Dave Feustel 260-422-5330