[Kde-nonlinux] KDE KMAIL Security Alert

Dave Feustel dfeustel at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 14 12:15:02 CET 2004

I have had this problem with Kmail on 3.1.3 running on
 Openbsd 3.3 and 3.4 for quite a while and it's getting much worse.

KDE desktop crashes after an unexpected SIGHUP and then when I restart
KDE and attempt to send a message, I get a notification that the
message could not be sent because the outbox is blocked by a previous
unsent message. The first message in the outbox shows "no subject"
and "unknown" as the recipient . The message is empty. Clicking on
any message in the outbox instantly changes the message title to
"no subject" and recipient to "unknown". So each message I click on
gets instantly erased. Last week I discovered that I could delete the
bad message using the keyboard "delete" key. As of today that no longer
works. Now using the delete key has the same effect that clicking on
the message does. It appears to me that a a security hole has been found
in KDE kmail and it is being used to progressively sabotage kmail by
reprogramming the mouse and keyboard functions so that their use in the
outbox destroys messages that are in the outbox. I lost 20 messages this
morning.
Dave Feustel
1-260-422-5330

--