[Kde-nonlinux] Pooched

Lauri Watts kde-nonlinux@kde.org
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 00:42:24 +0100

On Monday 18 March 2002 18.00, Jim Durham wrote:

> I agree wholeheartedly. I have installed from source, ports and
> packages. My favorite method is  setting PACKAGESITE to the packages
> directory for your release on your favorite freebsd ftp server and
> typing 'pkg_add -r  xxxx' .It finds all the dependencies and just
> does its thing! Great. Ports is equally wonderful, but somewhat
> slower, as you pointed out.

You ought to check out portupgrade too :)

> I'd also like to ask, since you mentioned the KDE 3.0 package, is
> this now mature enough for general useage and does it fix some of the
> more frustrating problems with KDE 2 like the javascript and java
> problems in Konqueror? I've been sort of hanging back on installing
> it.

KDE 3 isn't released yet, we have been both compiling directly out of CVS=
, and=20
intermittently making packages and ports out of CVS too.  If you sign up =
on=20
the kde-freebsd list (look at http://freebsd.kde.org/ ), it's posted ther=
e=20
when there are new packages to test.

Package testers are very welcome, and although they will be pre-release, =
they=20
are generally pretty stable.  The only requirement to sign up is, you can=
 use=20
pkg_add or portinstall, and you promise to report your problems :)

Regards,
--=20
Lauri Watts