[Kde-nonlinux] (no subject)

Lauri Watts kde-nonlinux@kde.org
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:32:26 +0200

On Tuesday 09 April 2002 00.18, jehova villa martinez wrote:
> <DIV>
> <P>hi,</P>
> <P>any body runs kde 2.2 on freebsd? how to configure kdm? i have 2 err=
or
> mesages, one about ttyv8, and anotheronelike this: </P> <P>no modules
> loaded for 'kde' service </P>
> <P>this happens when i try to loggin, starts &quot;startkde&quot;, and =
> recive this error on console.</P> <P>and kde tellme that can't conect t=
> DCOP server. this is not true because i first remove files on
> /tmp/.ICE-unix/*, and starting kde from console with startx works
> fine&nbsp; and well.</P> <P>any sugestions or pointers?</P>
> <P>thanks</P>
mese
> al servicio de correo electr=F3nico m=E1s grande del mundo. <a
> href=3D'http://g.msn.com/1HM507001/k'>http://www.hotmail.com/ES</a><br>=

^^^ Please don't use HTML mail for lists, most of us can't read it very=20
easily.

For the "no modules loaded for 'kde' service, try adding this into=20
/etc/pam.conf:

kde     auth    sufficient      pam_skey.so
kde     auth    requisite       pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so
kde     auth    required        pam_unix.so                     try_first=
_pass
kde     account required        pam_unix.so
kde     password required       pam_permit.so
kde     session required        pam_permit.so

The error message about ttyv8, I'm not sure about.  Could you send the ex=
act=20
error message?  In the meantime, check in /etc/ttys for the line about tt=
yv8
The default is something like this:

ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure

if the "off" says "on" already, then probably you have xdm running on tha=
t=20
tty, so you need to turn it off, kdm can't run on the same one.

to have KDM start up automatically on ttyv8 instead of xdm, you would do=20
something like:

ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure

but I strongly suggest you get it to the point you can run KDM as root fr=
om a=20
console, and log in as a user, before you do this.

Regards,
--=20
Lauri Watts