new NM design: UI considerations

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Oct 6 08:57:11 UTC 2011

Hi,

While reading Lamarque's blog at

http://lamarque-lvs.blogspot.com/2011/10/solid-sprint-day-3.html

a few things struck me. First, I think it's really good to see design
considerations of such a central part of the users' workflows. I especially
like the usecases you used. I'm not sure, however, that everything we need it
for has been considered, specifically touch-screen friendliness seem to regres
with the proposed design. Those are UI-related things we considered when
designing the two-paneled pop-up. It seems they've not been taken into account
when designing the current, one-paneled view. The main issue I see with the
proposed design is the use of the context menu, which has some problems:

* options in there are hard to discover, impossible for some users
* if you use both RMB and LMB on the panel icon, it gets confusing: just
  look at how nm-applet handles this, it's pretty bad, one always has to
  search for the options
* RMB doesn't work on touch-screens

So I understand that you moved those in the context menu because the main UI
becomes too big, too crowded. I do not think that it's an option, however.

The NM plasmoid has been designed with use on touchscreens in mind, and we're
actually relying on it for Plasma Active (where there is no context menu).
Implementing these changes would basically make het Plasmoid unusable for us,
and we had to maintain a fork of the current version -- nobody wants that.

I suggest to wait with these UI changes until we've found good solutions for
them, and to not rush the redesign. It's maybe not the most elegant thing in
the world, but there's plenty of opportunity to improve the workflow by
polishing the flows through the QWidget-based parts. No need to hurry here.

Here's a proposal: As you know, I've started working on a QML-based version of
the NM Plasmoid. This should make it future-proof (wrt Frameworks 5 and
libplasma2), and solve many small layout problems (GraphicsWidget's sizing is
a lot more wonky than QML's layouts). I suggest UI changes happen in there,
and we do it in a way that works both on desktop and touch. It's also way
easier to experiment with different layouts in QML than in C++. Furthermore,
it's a lot easier to make the UI more attractive and fluid by adding subtle
transition effects. Let's use this as starting point for the redesign of the
main panel, work on the QWidget-based pieces first. This will save us another
rewrite of the UI in the not-so-far future. Mid-term, we need to get rid of
QGraphicsWidgets anyway, which are heavily used in the current Plasmoid.

Cheers,
--
sebas